Healthy Shrimp Orzo Dinner
Wow oh wow! I just made the most delicious dinner tonight. Maybe it’s me channeling my inner wifey but I have to give myself major props on how good this turned out! It’s a light, lemony shrimp dish that had feta cheese, cucumbers, and onions. Personally, I love this dish because it’s so versatile. It’s east to cook the orzo and make a kid-friendly version too with just feta, orzo, and olive oil before I combine all the other ingredients. I also love that it’s a single dish meal. I’m always trying to stuff as much food into my mouth in very little time so when I don’t have to worry about cutting up my food to get that oh-so-perfect bite every time, that’s why I consider this Healthy Shrimp Orzo Dinner a win.
Ready to make it? Make sure you S H A R E this article!
- 2lbs (18-20 count) shrimp, uncooked, peeled, and deveined
- 3/4lb Feta Cheese
- 1/2 C fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1 C minced scallions (click this if you don’t know what scallions are…I didn’t!!)
- 1 cucumber, unpeeled and medium-diced
- 1/2 C red onion, small-diced
- 3/4lb orzo pasta
- extra virgin olive oil
- cracked black pepper
- dill weed
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt and a splash of olive oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and let simmer for 9 minutes or until it’s cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the lemon juice, 1/2 C olive oil, 2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp of pepper. Pour over the orzo and stir.
- Place shrimp on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 5 minutes or until cooked through but make sure you’re not over cooking them!!
- Add the scallions, dill, cucumber, onion, salt, and pepper. Toss well. Then add the feta and the shrimp.
This is a great dinner that my family preferred warm but if you’d like to chill it, it’s great that way too!!
If you want me to share more healthy recipes, make sure you let me know in the comments!!